Saturday, December 30, 2006

Focus

"Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles, and let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy set before him endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God." -- Hebrews 12:1,2 (NIV)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Cats have an amazing ability to focus on an object of interest. They may turn their ears towards other things around them to stay alert to what's going on, but they rarely avert their eyes if they're really interested. Sometimes, seemingly for no apparent reason to us humans, cats will suddenly sprint across the room towards whatever they were so fixated on until they "capture it".

Somewhere deep inside of my heart I have that kind of zeal for God. The problem is that my mind is more in control of me than my heart. I am very easily distracted by the things around me. Even though they are garbage compared to what God has for me, they seem so appealing in the moment and I allow my attention to be drawn away from God. None of the things I choose to focus on are bad or ungodly necessarily, but don't I owe it to God to keep my eyes fixed on Him? Jesus came and He died so that I could live without shame and I spend so much of my time ignoring Him!

Lord, forgive me! Give me the ability to focus on You with all of my heart and with all of my mind in the midst of my daily activities. Help me "run with perseverance the race marked out for" me. I pray that my heart, my mind and all of my senses would be open and alert to You.

photos (c) 2006 by DKF

No comments: