Tuesday, March 09, 2010

Treasure

I believe that we are surrounded daily by treasure. Each person may define treasure in a different way, but it is there. For me, treasure comes in many forms. Just a few examples of treasures in my life include a smile from a friend, a new PEZ dispenser, a bird's song, sunshine and a tasty home cooked meal. Some treasures may show up unexpectedly, like finding your favorite collectible at a local movie theater while others come about with a little effort on your part, like a homemade pizza.

My relationship with God is my biggest treasure and the best gift I will ever receive. God blesses me daily in many unexpected ways, but as in any relationship a bit of effort is required on my part to nurture and deepen the bond. I often take God for granted and forget or ignore the fact that I need to pursue Him in order to get closer to Him. He's always there guiding, protecting and loving me, but if I ignore Him I'm not receiving the full bounty of what He has planned for me. In my heart I know that I should live my life with God as my most prized treasure, "For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also."* Sadly, I often fall short of that.

Lord, please don't allow me to ignore You. I give You my heart and I pray that You would give me gentle reminders to spend time seeking to know You more.

* Matthew 6:21 (NIV)
photos (c) 2010 by DKF

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Amen... Barb