Sunday, January 07, 2007

My Obsession

Okay, I admit it! I'm a PEZHEAD! I love anything PEZ and I want to own it all! I am signed up for e-newsletters and an online PEZ group and I own hundreds of PEZ products from apparel to pens to cars to Christmas cards to actual dispensers, regular size and GIANT, to the PEZHEADS documentary (I recommend this DVD whether you are a collector, just a little bit curious about PEZ or anywhere in between.).

As I was worshipping at church this morning, it occurred to me that I don't get nearly as excited about my relationship with God as I do about PEZ. It was a harsh reality check, and even as I write this, I'm more excited about the Giant PEZ I just ordered ([pictured below] Aren't they cool? They're 12 inches tall!) than about trying to shift my focus.

Jesus said that the most important commandment was this: "Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strength." -- Mark 12:30 (NIV) I want to live that way not only because Jesus commanded it, but because I know that kind of lifestyle brings joy to the Lord's heart and I also know that I'm missing out on an abundance of blessings by not making God my primary focus.

Lord, thank you for Your grace and forgiveness. Even though I struggle with making You number one in my life on a fairly consistent basis, You are still faithful to me and You never stop loving me and You even bless my PEZ obsession at times. Help me shift my focus more towards You, Lord. I want to live with You as my primary obsession.




1 comment:

Unknown said...

hey, I found your site when looking for places that linked to us... I definitely understand where you're coming from, I mean, we made a movie about PEZ, of all things, and I sometimes ask myself "how, exactly, is this going to glorify God? We're talking about people obsessing over pieces of plastic, and not in a bad way..." I think it's important to keep remembering that these things are fun, yes, but they do not complete us... having all the Funky Faces or all the Ninja Turtles will not make us more complete people. All of this rambling to say yes, I agree. Having hobbies like this is not bad in itself, we just have to make sure they don't become idols.

God bless and Happy PEZzing!

Kendra
www.pezheadsthemovie.com