Saturday, October 21, 2006

Attitude Check

"Commit to the LORD whatever you do, and your plans will succeed." -- Proverbs 16:3
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight." -- Proverbs 3:5,6
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

My cat, Dot, often has what I consider an attitude problem. She believes that she is the queen of the household and that all rules and activities must accommodate her mood and desires. One thing that happens fairly often at our house is that I attempt to photograph her. She doesn't like having her picture taken, so whenever I bring out the camera she grimaces and/or runs away. Mostly I think she is just annoyed, but part of the problem involves trust. She seems to fear that I will pick her up or make her pose and she just doesn't want to be bothered.

My relationship with God is kind of like that sometimes. When God comes to me with something new to pursue, I often grimace and complain and try to run away from Him. Part of me doesn't want to be bothered with new circumstances or mindsets. My pride usually gets in the way and I get grumpy because I want to do things my way and I get scared about how He's going to ask me to execute the task at hand. What if I can't do it? What if I get hurt in the process? What if...? What if...?

With my cat, I know that I have her best interests in mind. Obviously, she doesn't always comprehend that. She's a cat. As far as I know she doesn't speak and doesn't understand my attempts at comforting words. Somewhere deep inside my heart, I know that God always has my best interests in mind too, but I'm only human and it's hard to put your trust in something that you can't always understand.

Lord, help me to acknowledge you in all my ways. Lord, help my heart and my mind stay on the straight and narrow path that leads to You. I give you my "what if's". I lay my lack of trust and my bad attitude at the foot of your cross. I commit to You all that I do, for Your glory.


photo (c) 2006 by DKF

No comments: