Thursday, October 05, 2006

Trees of the Forest

"Let the heavens rejoice, let the earth be glad; let the sea resound, and all that is in it; let the fields be jubilant, and everything in them. Then all the trees of the forest will sing for joy; they will sing before the LORD, for he comes..."
-- Psalm 96:11,12, 13a (NIV)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I imagine that this is one way that the trees "sing for joy" to the Lord. The bold colors popping out from the leaves seem to reflect God's glory. It's as if the leaves are shouting out, "Look at me! Look at me! Look at the incredible masterpiece that God has created right here in your own backyard!" I think another way the trees sing their praises is with the help of the wind blowing through their branches rustling the leaves. I love to be outside on a warm windy day. I try to listen for the voice of Jesus in the wind. I look to the sky, close my eyes and lift my hands to heaven. It takes me to another place, at least for a moment, away from all of the commotion of life and into the gentle quietness of Jesus' love.

The next time you're outside, take a moment, stop, close your eyes and listen to all of the ways that the earth and everything in it "sing" praises to the one and only God. When you hear something, open your eyes to see the awesome beauty and artistry in the origin of the sound. This exercise sometimes makes me smile and sometimes brings tears to my eyes, but it always brings overwhelming joy to my heart. May you be blessed by the masterpiece that the Father has created!

photo (c) 2006 by DKF

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dawn-
Thank you for sharing your moments with God. I feel sometimes I shadow you in those moments and sometimes I am right at your side!! There are moments down here where I know we would share the same vision. What a blessing He gave us these senses and the heart to share them.
I love you.
You are with me down here in your love and sharing His love!!
Love,
Dianna