Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Continual Praise

"Be joyful always; pray continually; give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus."
-- 1 Thessalonians 5:16-18 (NIV)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It tends to be much easier for me to live this Scripture when I have my guitar or a pen and some paper handy. I usually gather those things for the purpose of worship. When I sit down with my guitar or my journal, my mind is in a prayerful place. I may not feel joyful, but I choose to praise God in my circumstances, even if it involves crying out my frustrations to him first.

This verse doesn't say, when you're in the mood or when you have time be joyful, pray and give thanks. It uses the words "always," "continually" and "all." Sometimes I make a deliberate choice to be grumpy, hold my feelings in, come up with my own solutions and be ungrateful. Other times, it just doesn't occur to me to lift up praises and prayers. My guess is that I'm not alone in all of this.

Imagine what a day might look like if you actually did live this verse. How do you think your day might be different from a typical day? How do you think it might affect the people you encounter on a day to day basis if you walked out those words.

Lord, help me to keep my focus on You all day and all night. Help me to choose to lift up praises and prayers in each and every situation that comes up in my life, no matter how trivial or profound. And help me to be thankful for all things that come my way, whether they seem like blessings at the time or not.

photos (c) 2006 by DKF

No comments: