Sunday, September 17, 2006

Jesus vs. the Furious Storms

"Then [Jesus] got into the boat and his disciples followed him. Without warning, a furious storm came up on the lake, so that the waves swept over the boat. But Jesus was sleeping. The disciples went and woke him, saying, "Lord, save us! We're going to drown!"

He replied, "You of little faith, why are you so afraid?" Then he got up and rebuked the winds and the waves, and it was completely calm."

-- Matthew 8:23-26 (NIV)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

So often, what seems like a "furious storm" is happening all around me and I get scared and I panic. Do I need to panic? Not at all... Because I know Jesus is just a shout away. But do I remember this and seek His aid? Sometimes I cry out to Jesus immediately, but it is more likely for me to retreat into myself and operate in panic mode until the "Jesus light bulb" turns on in my head. It makes me sad to think that my actions might grieve the heart of God.

Lord, I don't mean to doubt You. I know that You are the ultimate authority over all of heaven and earth. I know that You love me more than I could ever fathom and that You have the power to calm each and every storm that I may encounter, but it's a hard concept for me to grasp fully. Please help me to put all of my trust in You and give me the courage to walk in it!

Just imagine that it's you in this boat with Jesus at the helm...
That's an extremely comforting image for me to contemplate.
How does it make you feel?

photo (c) 2006 by DKF

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I MADE IT AND ONCE AGAIN YOU MAKE ME SMILE...YOUR BLOG IS SUCH A HAPPY PLACE TO VISIT