Thursday, September 07, 2006

Light Seeker

"You, O LORD, keep my lamp burning; my God turns my darkness into light."
-- Psalm 18:28 (NIV)


So many times I let myself dwell in the darkness when God's light is just a prayer away. It takes so much more effort to grope my way through the dark, but in some ways it feels more comfortable there. Sometimes it just feels good to be walking blind because I can choose to ignore what's around me and live within any illusion I choose. Therefore creating a place seemingly free from fear because I only perceive what feels safe from moment to moment.

The problem with that is that I often miss out on the blessings that surround me. I often miss the abundance of what God has in store for me because I am too stubborn to acknowledge the good things that He has filled my life with. He answers my prayers regularly, but sometimes I make a choice to look past His answers into the world I've created in my imagination that is dark and empty.

I don't want to live in this self imposed darkness anymore. Today I choose to step out of my dark illusions and accept God's blessings as answers to my prayers, even if His responses aren't what I had envisioned when I prayed. Today I choose to be a light seeker instead of a light snuffer. Lord, give me the wisdom to choose Truth and the strength to step out of my comfort zone.

photo (c) 2006 by DKF

No comments: